I’ve wanted Webalizer to group the UA strings for the major players in the browser market for a while now, and finally sat down this evening to poke around with things.
I don’t believe in “grouping” everything, because it just means I end up with a massive “grouping” list to maintain, and I just know I won’t be able to do that. So I’m just concentrating on the browsers who hold most market share for the browser demographic my client’s site’s are attracting. Besides, browsers with a small market share (I’m taking like less than a couple of percent here) aren’t really worth grouping.
As a developer, I’m interested in what versions of browsers visitors are using, but not that interested…and not so interested that I want to confuse the clients who are going to view the stats for their site. So I’m grouping by major version number, making sure to define a “catchall” style group for version numbers above/below any of the groups I have defined. This means that any new browsers versions released before I get a chance to update the list are still grouped.
The only problem I ran into was trying to define a GroupAgent string for IE. I wanted to match MSIE 8, MSIE 7, MSIE 6, etc. but unfortunately space characters delimit the GroupAgent string. Which is a bit of a pain. I noticed that the sample config file on the webalizer site used quotes to surround the string and encompass the space, but that didn’t work for me. Perhaps because Debian stable is still using version 2.01.10 from 2002. Gotta love Debian. I’ll revisit if they ever update the package.
Anyway, that means that I’m using just version numbers to group IE. Which isn’t great as we could potentially get some false positives…but hopefully not many as we’re matching all the other big players beforehand.
GroupAgent Firefox/3 Firefox 3 HideAgent Firefox/3 GroupAgent Firefox/2 Firefox 2 HideAgent Firefox/2 GroupAgent Firefox/1 Firefox 1 HideAgent Firefox/1 GroupAgent Firefox Firefox HideAgent Firefox GroupAgent Chrome/4 Chrome 4 HideAgent Chrome/4 GroupAgent Chrome/3 Chrome 3 HideAgent Chrome/3 GroupAgent Chrome/2 Chrome 2 HideAgent Chrome/2 GroupAgent Chrome/1 Chrome 1 HideAgent Chrome/1 GroupAgent Chrome/0 Chrome 0 HideAgent Chrome/0 GroupAgent Chrome Chrome HideAgent Chrome GroupAgent iPhone iPhone HideAgent iPhone GroupAgent Version/4 Safari 4 HideAgent Version/4 GroupAgent Version/3 Safari 3 HideAgent Version/3 GroupAgent Safari Safari HideAgent Safari GroupAgent Opera/10 Opera 10 HideAgent Opera/10 GroupAgent Opera/9 Opera 9 HideAgent Opera/9 GroupAgent Opera/8 Opera 8 HideAgent Opera/8 GroupAgent Opera/7 Opera 7 HideAgent Opera/7 GroupAgent Opera/6 Opera 6 HideAgent Opera/6 GroupAgent Opera/5 Opera 5 HideAgent Opera/5 GroupAgent Opera Opera HideAgent Opera # TODO: When Debian finally upgrade webalizer, use "MSIE x" GroupAgent 8.0 Internet Explorer 8 HideAgent 8.0 GroupAgent 7.0 Internet Explorer 7 HideAgent 7.0 GroupAgent 6.0 Internet Explorer 6 HideAgent 6.0 GroupAgent MSIE Internet Explorer HideAgent MSIE